Mayor Purzycki Encourages City Residents to Sign Up for Affordable High-Speed Home Internet
Federal Affordable Connectivity Program offers eligible households $30-a-month internet service; sign-up sessions continue in June
Mayor Mike Purzycki encourages eligible City residents and families to sign up for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), a long-term federal program to help lower-income families pay just $30 for monthly high-speed internet service. The City of Wilmington, in partnership with Governor John Carney and with mobilization assistance from the Wilmington Community Advisory Council (WCAC), has begun promoting a new effort to close the “Digital Divide” in Delaware in the City as part of a statewide initiative announced March 20 by Governor Carney and municipal leaders across the state. The ACP also offers a one-time $100 discount toward a connected laptop, desktop computer, or tablet through a participating service provider.
The schedule for sign-up sessions in June is:
- Where: WHA Baynard Apartments., 309 West 18th Street
- When: Friday, June 2, 3:00 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
- Where: Wilmington Police Athletic League, 3707 North Market Street
- When: Monday, June 5 & Tuesday, June 6, 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Health Fair)
- Where: WHA Crestview, 2700 North Market Street
- When: Friday, June 9, 3:30 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
- Where: Jefferson St Center – Food Pantry, 1801 North Jefferson Street
- When: Thursday, June 15, 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Where: Safe United Neighborhoods (SUN) Food/ Clothing Giveaway, SUN Park @ East 22nd & Lamotte Street
- When: Thursday, June 15, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Wilmington Police Department Community Resource Fair, Cool Spring Park, North Jackson Street and Park Place
- When: Thursday, June 15, 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Where: WHA Compton Towers, 325 North 5th Street
- When: Friday, June 16, 3:30 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
- Where: Central Baptist CDC, 839 North Pine Street
- When: Wednesday, June 21, 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Chat & Chew)
- Where: WHA Herlihy, 320 East 5th Street
- When: Friday, June 23, 3:30 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
- Where: MSK Community Center, 1009 Sycamore Street
- When: Tuesday, June 27, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
- Where: WHA Park View, 1800 North Broom Street
- When: Friday, June 30, 3:30 p.m. (ACP Workshop)
A household is eligible if one member meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income program; or
- Participates in one of several Tribal specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the relevant income qualifying standard), Tribal TANF, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
“High-speed internet is absolutely essential in today’s world,” said Mayor Purzycki. “It allows people to work remotely, send their children to school, and access healthcare, job training, and critical government services. We are committed to closing the affordability gap in Wilmington – which is concentrated in our underserved communities and disproportionately impacts people of color – so that every resident has equal access to the opportunities of the digital age.”
Prior to attending a sign-up session, City residents and families are urged to visit GetACP.org/Delaware, EducationSuperHighway’s pre-enrollment tool to see if they qualify, what documents they will need at the time of application, and to see a list of “free with ACP” home internet plans.
Please share the English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole language flyers that appear on the following pages and urge your relatives and friends to see if they qualify for affordable home internet service.
Original Story :
Published online at: https://www.wilmingtonde.gov/Home/Components/News/News/6473/225